Friday, October 27, 2017

Harvest Time

Well, here's a good one.
And a new one for me.

I planted some sweet potato vines in a pot
to grace our balcony.

Time for a change.

Went to the nursery the other day
and bought some beautiful cyclamen.

Should have checked to see
if I had enough potting soil at home.
But I didn't check.

I took my scissors and snipped off
the vines and threw them away.

Then I gingerly tried to pull out the plants.
First of all, it was a struggle.
"Gingerly" didn't quite work.

I wanted to save the soil, if possible.

Didn't appear that was going to work.
The root system was massive.

Since I was working on the balcony
and didn't have much of a splat mat,
I didn't want to just turn the pot upside down.

Put my hands (no gloves) into the pot
and began pulling out the dirt by hand.

After about the third "dig" into the pot,
I grabbed something that didn't feel quite like dirt.

Nope - sure wasn't dirt!
Check this out ...

I grew two sweet potatoes.
All by myself.
And had no idea this would happen.
So what do you think about that?

The Runner said he was going to eat them.
We'll see.
Stay tuned ...

PS - I had enough dirt with some left over.

2 comments:

  1. Lol Sue, what a wonderful find, after all the hand digging :-)- The sweet potato plant have feel good, in your pot, to deliver these 2 good looking potatoes . Enjoy !!!
    Dorthe, xox

    ReplyDelete